Thursday, March 20, 2008

Obama and his racist, hate-filled pastor

Barack and his mentor. My mentor, a presbyterian (I'm baptist), a small business owner (I worked for him), a father of two boys my age, his wife watched our boys for years and his wife is a mentor to my wife, my mentor is someone I look up to. He teaches me to love people. He teaches me how to be a good father. He teaches me how to do business. He serves as a deacon in his church, he leads an organization on the college campus. He gives of himself constantly and gives all the glory to God. Here's what Barack's "mentor" says.

Barack said in an interview that he would not go on Don Imus' show. Imus made one rude remark about the NC State women's basketball team I think it was. Personally I think Imus is an oaf and I wouldn't go on his show either, but is there a double standard here? Barack won't set foot in Imus' studion but he has attended the church of a man who preaches hate for 20 years. He says he didn't hear Jeremiah Wright preaching these sermons and that these were only a handful. Really? Could Wright's hate of whites and the U. S. A. be one of the reasons that Barack's wife Michelle recently said that she "for the first time in her adult life, is proud to be an American"? You can't be around someone for 20 years and not notice something that is obviously so important to them. Wright has an obvious chip on his shoulder when it comes to whites and America.

I heard a black man on a radio show today say that when MLK was shot his mom started whining that "the white man is gonna kill us, we're all gonna die". The man's father told the mom that she could pack her stuff and leave if that was how she was gonna act. There would be no racism in his home. It wasn't until many years later that this guy found out his parents had staged that scene to show the kids that racism was not to be tolerated under any circumstance. That is a leader. That is someone who can be a mentor.

My own parents taught me to not tolerate racism. Have I fallen into it and made some crude jokes? Sure. I think we all have, but when it came down to affecting me, where it would cost me, I stood for what was right. I was dating a girl in junior college, a real cutie. She said that it was wrong for blacks and whites to date or to get married. I said it wasn't and we talked about it for quite a while. Needless to say, I didn't get another date. It cost me to not support a racist view when it really mattered. No, I'm not a hero and nowhere near perfect but it's an example that, if we know something isn't quite right, we don't stick around. Maybe Obama should have thought about that a long time ago because we're all gonna be thinking about it now.

No comments: